As many of you probably know by now Coronavirus was first detected in China and has now spread to the United States. As of Tuesday, there were two confirmed cases in Fulton County, Atlanta GA.
Coronaviruses are not new. Do you remember the SARS and MERS outbreaks? Similar deal here, new virus in the same family of viruses. It’s very similar to influenza and is primarily spread by respiratory droplets. Should one get it you can expect to experience fever, cough, breathing difficulties, and malaise.
The communities who are likely to experience more severe cases or possible progression to pneumonia are those who already have weakened or compromised immune systems and those who have other chronic health conditions, like cardiovascular disease, COPD, diabetes, kidney diseases, hypertension, and cancer.
This isn’t a cause for alarm or panic, rather for preparation, much in the same way that you’d stay-ready for the flu.
- Cough and sneeze into a tissue, then immediately discard. You may not have symptoms for 2-14 days after contracting.
- Give a dab, head-nod or elbow bump, instead of a hug or handshake.
- Wash your hands with soap often throughout the day as you can contract it after touching a surface with the virus droplets on it followed by touching your nose, mouth or eyes.
- Have your kids wash their hands as soon as they return home from school and change their clothes.
- Don’t re-wear, rather wash your clothes after one wear, especially if you’re in a location where the virus is spreading.
- Change your sheets.
- Clean and disinfect the tabletops and doorknobs. We use an essential oil blend of eucalyptus, peppermint, lemongrass, and cinnamon to wipe down all the doorknobs.
- If you’re able, stay at home if you feel sick (I know that not everyone has paid leave, so while lots of folks complain about sick people showing up to work, not everyone can afford it, literally).
- Wear a mask.
- Get your rest. Lack of adequate sleep impairs your immune system and doesn’t give your body the time it needs to repair.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff. Keep your stress levels low. It’s the perfect time to begin or resume that meditation and spiritual practice.
- Eat well and don’t tax your body with processed foods. Consume plenty of fluids, whole grains, bone broths, salads, fruits, and green leafy vegetables. Make or buy a daily green juice (our recipe is below).
- Become more aware of your thoughts and your emotional responses to life. Persistent negative thoughts, turn into bad feelings, which increase our resonance with pain, illness, and disease.
- Support your general well-being with daily herbal infusions of multivitamin plants like oat straw, nettles, dandelion leaf, rose hips, rooibos, and moringa. I go into more detail on which plants are supportive, preventative, and highly nutritive as well as how to make and take them in my Everyday Herbalism Mini-Course. A worthy $9 investment. Also, see the recipe for the infusion blend we've been drinking all week, below.
- Buy a jar of Immunity Syrup, which is our powerful antiviral, upper respiratory and immune-boosting blend (5 left in stock, more on deck). A swig a day for prevention, then a shot every couple of hours at the onset of illness will do ya right!
Our Green Juice Recipe includes:
- 2 Green Apples
- 4 Leaves Kale
- 1 Cucumber
- 4 Celery Stalks
- 1 Handful Parsley
- 1 Lemon
- 1in Piece Ginger
This Week’s Nourishing Herbal Infusion Recipe:
This formula is antiviral, adaptogenic, and improves the functioning of the immune system, lungs, and kidneys. It’s also high in vitamin C.
I use percentages for my formulary so that you can scale the recipe up or down, depending on how much you want to make at a time. You've got to do a little math and get a small kitchen scale if you don't already have one. I've also provided the measurements for making a 1 ounce by weight (not volume) blend.
- 20% Rosehips (coarsely ground) --- 5.6 grams
- 20% Elder Flowers --- 5.6 grams
- 20% Mullein --- 5.6 grams
- 10% Marshmallow --- 2.8 grams
- 10% Orange Peel --- 2.8 grams
- 10% Goldenrod --- 2.8 grams
- 10% Astragalus Root (coarsely ground to almost powdered) --- 2.8 grams
If already sick with an acute viral or bacterial infection, leave out the Astragalus as it will drive the illness deeper into the body.
Grind the Astragalus Root and Rose Hips to a coarse consistency (almost, but not quite powdered).
Weight herbs and pour 1 ounce by weight total of dried herb into a large pot. Pour ½ gallon fresh boiled hot water over herb. Do not boil. Steep covered overnight. Strain, bottle and enjoy 1-3 cups per day. Repeat. Safe for children, ¼ to ½ cup per day for the kiddos.
P.S. You can learn to take charge of your health with plants inside my Herbal Medicine for the Soul Mentorship Program. In my program, students have gotten off pain, thyroid, and high blood pressure medications. They've also reversed debilitating symptoms, reduced chronic pain, resolved traumas, and started their holistic businesses.
If you want to…
- Delete your diagnosis from the inside out (for real)
- Overcome health inconsistency
- Ditch dependence on drugs and their damaging side-effects
- Own your health, reclaim your joy, and focus on your passions and purpose
- Start/expand your herbal and holistic healing business with plants and medical astrology...
Set up a free Wellness Strategy Session here to see if you’re a good fit for Herbal Medicine for the Soul. And check out what a current client shared with me recently that brought me to tears of joy...